Monday 27 June 2011

Favourites: Nail varnish

I don't know about you but I always feel undressed without nail varnish on. My nails aren't particularly gruesome but I always feel more armoured up when I have it on. I know various girls that have different things they use as shields (make up, shoes, nice underwear, jewellery) but nail varnish has always been my weapon of choice.

For start it comes in so many different colours that it can match any mood you're in - for instance I have a shade that is the exact same shade as the TARDIS in Dr Who for when I feel like being sci-fi and geeky and keep peering round corners looking for a man in a bow tie standing next to an innocent blue box (this mood occurs more often than you think). I have a virulent green when I feel like a punky  radioactive girl surviving in a post apocalyptic world. I have a rich purple for when I feel like playing the doomed heiress of a failing aristocratic house and a light glittering pink when I feel like playing a kitten who has her claws hidden.

But my favourite by far, my true love forever colour is the classic, the pure, blood red.

This colours was worn by the sirens of the golden age. By the coiffed haired, form fitting, stocking wearing, poised goddess of the classic film scene. Their white cigarettes held negligently between their bloody tips led many a leading man to their doom. Their poise, their composure, their style and their sheer, overwhelming sexuality held me in thrall to them from an early age.

I might not have had the figure, the hair, the looks or the composure to pull off what they could do - but by god could I at least paint my nails red.

And so began a life long passion of finding a perfect shade. I now have a whole range of reds - from bright to arterial dark. Most people could probably never tell the difference but I know I can - and that's what counts.

So if ever I want to feel that bit more confident, or feel like playing the vamp or even just to make myself believe for one second as I walk through the door that I am so smoking hot I could set every man in the room on fire - red is always my colour of choice.

2 comments:

  1. While this is one of your best posts to date, a true delight to read I feel I must correct you.

    You are definitely a match for any film starlet past or present in terms of raw sexuality alone. Those other categories they don't even come close in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *points up*

    What he said. And, you are helluva fun!

    ReplyDelete